- Start by frying off some fennel seeds, cumin seeds and maybe some onion in some olive oil.
- Add celery and celeriac.
- Chipolatas can be added now if desired.
- Brown off small cubes of vegetables such as 1/2 a sweet potato, 1 swede, 1/2 squash, a potato or two, a parsnip and a couple of carrots.
- Once the vegetables are brown add enough stock to cover them and some grain type things (tinned or dried) such as lentils, beans and barley.
- Season as necessary, maybe adding a bay leaf/cinnamon stick or two.
- Cook covered in a hot oven for about twenty minutes.
- Make the dumplings by mixing self-raising flour and suet in a weight ratio of 2:1. I use 6oz flour and 3oz suet. Add enough water to combine and divide in to round dumplings, I usually make about 10.
- After about 20 minutes take the lid off and add the dumplings and cook for another 20 minutes until the dumplings are browned, adding a little more water/stock if necessary.
Sunday, December 26, 2010
Recipes: Vegetable-ish Stew and Dumplings
Thanks to my mum for this recipe, and Larry for spicing it up a bit.